Coronavirus update 13 March 2020

COVID-19: See the latest information about support services, Council facilities and closures.

Depending on the type of business you operate or are planning to start, you may need to register and apply for different permits.

Conduct business activities on a footpath

If you would like to put tables and chairs on the footpath or display goods or advertising boards, you'll need to apply for a permit. See commercial street furniture permit and road and footpath permits.

Run a business from home

You may need a Planning Permit to run a business from home

Build or renovate commercial premises

You may need a Planning Permit, Building Permit or both to construct, develop or renovate a building.

To find out which permits you need for your construction project, see Do I need a permit?


You may be eligible for a permit to park all day in designated areas in some car parks in Boroondara as part of our Traders Parking Permit Scheme.

Food businesses

If you want to open a food business or buy an existing food business, you will need to register with Council. See food businesses.

Domestic animal businesses

To run a pet shop, puppy training centre, breeding establishment, animal shelter or boarding establishment for dogs or cats, you need a permit from Council.

Apply for a Domestic Animal Business Permit.

Health, beauty and accommodation

If you are planning to open a health-related business, such as a hairdresser, or an accommodation premises, such as a hotel, we strongly recommend you email Health Services or contact the team on 9278 4701 for advice.

Register a new health or beauty business.

How useful was this information?