A large park within walking distance of Hawthorn train station that features lawns and tree-lined paths.
In 1858, before the secession of Hawthorn from Boroondara Road District, the Road Board sent a letter to the Minister for Lands and Works asking to secure certain grounds opposite the residence of Sir J. F. Palmer for Hawthorn residents.
The land was originally reserved by the Crown and was known as West Hawthorn Reserve. It is thought that the name St James Park comes from the football club with the same name.
Wood Street, Hawthorn 3122
The playground has a slide, hut, walkway and tunnel, spiral ladder, chain bridge, flying fox and monkey bars.
The park includes an oval for cricket and football.
- Off-lead dog area
- Public toilets
Hire this venue
The park is available for hire for weddings, christenings and other events.
Booking times: 7 days, including public holidays, 8am to sunset.
Marquees, arbours and other shade structures: not permitted
Maximum people: 100
Chairs and tables: up to 10 chairs and 2 tables can be brought in for events
Portable barbecue: not permitted
Petting zoo: not permitted
To find out more or make a booking, see hire a park, garden or reserve.